About The Railroad
About Our Society
Motor Cars of the
Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad
A McKean car was tested in 1909. It was lettered for the M&PA, and was numbered 61.
According to J.G. Brill Company order no. 19738, the M&PA ordered one closed-body, double-truck car on July 16, 1915. A car marketed by the Railway Storage Battery Car Company (with bodies by Brill) was tested on the M&PA in August of 1915, It was found not to be satisfactory.
In 1916, inquiries were made regarding used Dan Patch gas cars.
During 1920-1921, Mack, Bowen and FWD motor cars were investigated.
A Winthur gas car (The Russell Company) was tested by the M&PA on April 27, 1922.
A pair of Russell motor cars were ordered in 1922. Each car, No. 61 and 62, had a trailer numbered 51 and 52 respectively. No. 61 operated in regular service for several weeks in December of 1922 and was then returned to the builder due to a broken wheel and the inability to make scheduled time. Apparently, No. 62 was never delivered. The cars seated 28 people, and had a baggage compartment. The 9.5 ton trailers seated 36. The entire train was 71 feet long.
MOTOR CAR ROSTER
NOTES ON EMC GAS-ELECTRIC CARS
No. 61 had a Winton 120 motor. No. 62 had two Winton 106D motors.
Both car bodies were built by the Saint Louis Car Company. No. 61 seated 67 passengers, No. 62 seated 57 passengers.
Both cars wewre sold for scrap to the M.N. Landry Company in October of 1955. They were again sold for scrap on January 5, 1956. Both cars were still by the engine house in November of 1956.
The following information is from the M&PA annual reports:
1922 - 281 motor train miles
1926 - 158 motor train miles
Railroad History |
Railroad Stations |
Society Information |
Society Merchandise |
Order Form |
Historical Information |
Timetable Supplements |
Related Links |
MA & PA MAILING LIST
Those of you with an interest in discussions of Ma & Pa history, equipment and modeling may want to join the Ma & Pa Railroad email list at Yahoo Groups.