Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society

Motorcars of the
Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad

A McKean car was tested in 1909. It was lettered for the M&PA, and was numbered 61.

According to J.G. Brill Company order no. 19738, the M&PA ordered one closed-body, double-truck car on July 16, 1915. A car marketed by the Railway Storage Battery Car Company (with bodies by Brill) was tested on the M&PA in August of 1915, It was found not to be satisfactory.

In 1916, inquiries were made regarding used Dan Patch gas cars.

During 1920-1921, Mack, Bowen and FWD motor cars were investigated.

A Winthur gas car (The Russell Company) was tested by the M&PA on April 27, 1922.

First M&PA No. 61 Russell Number: ?
Built: December, 1922   Retired: See notes
Horsepower: 120 Tractive Effort: ? lbs. Weight: 28,000 lbs.
NOTES:
A pair of Russell motor cars were ordered in 1922. Each car, No. 61 and 62, had a trailer numbered 51 and 52 respectively. No. 61 operated in regular service for several weeks in December of 1922 and was then returned to the builder due to a broken wheel and the inability to make scheduled time. The cars seated 28 people, and had a baggage compartment. The 9.5 ton trailers seated 36. The entire train was 71 feet long.
PHOTO
First M&PA No. 62 Russell Number: ?
Built: See notes   Retired: See notes
Horsepower: 120 Tractive Effort: ? lbs. Weight: 28,000 lbs.
NOTES:
A pair of Russell motor cars were ordered in 1922. Each car, No. 61 and 62, had a trailer numbered 51 and 52 respectively. No. 61 operated in regular service for several weeks in December of 1922 and was then returned to the builder due to a broken wheel and the inability to make scheduled time. Apparently, No. 62 was never delivered. The cars seated 28 people, and had a baggage compartment. The 9.5 ton trailers seated 36. The entire train was 71 feet long.
 
Second M&PA No. 61 EMC Number: 200
Built: March, 1927 Acqired: New Retired: December, 1955
Horsepower: 275 Tractive Effort: 15,100 lbs. Weight: 91,900 lbs.
NOTES:
No. 61 had a Winton 120 motor.
The car body was built by the Saint Louis Car Company.
No. 61 seated 67 passengers.
Was sold for scrap to the M.N. Landry Company in October of 1955. Was again sold for scrap on January 5, 1956. Was still by the engine house in November of 1956.
PHOTO - PHOTO
Second M&PA No. 62 EMC Number: 347
Built: December, 1928 Acqired: New Retired: December, 1955
Horsepower: 440 Tractive Effort: 29,000 lbs. Weight: 122,720 lbs.
NOTES:
No. 62 had two Winton 106D motors.
The car body was built by the Saint Louis Car Company.
No. 62 seated 57 passengers.
Was sold for scrap to the M.N. Landry Company in October of 1955. Was again sold for scrap on January 5, 1956. Was still by the engine house in November of 1956.
PHOTO - PHOTO

Notes on Gas-Electric Motorcars

The following information is from the M&PA annual reports:
1922 - 281 motor train miles
1926 - 158 motor train miles

Data has been gathered from various sources, including Annual Reports, AFEs, the M&PA's Shop Book and photographs.

Information compiled by the late Charles T. Mahan, Jr.

 

Return to Top