Logo of The Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society

THE MARYLAND AND PENNSYLVANIA
RAILROAD HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Preserving history...in prototype and in miniature!

The Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society

HOME CONTACT US

 

About The Railroad

Railroad History

Railroad Stations

About Our Society

Society Information

Membership Application

Company Store

Society Merchandise

Order Form

Resources

Historical Information

Timetable Supplements

Related Links

Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad
Non-Revenue Car Roster

CABOOSE CARS

Number Old No. Built In Service Disposition & Notes
2000 B&L 1000 May 1895 February 1901 Retired in 1916
2001 M&PA 1001 May 1895 January 1903 Converted from boxcar 419, wrecked on the M&PA, retired in December 1917
2002 M&PA 1002 September 1905 September 1905 Sold in 1972, converted into a home in Woodbine (then Bruce) - second image
2003 K&M 65 September 1901 December 1917 Built by the Toledo & Ohio Central, rebuilt by the M&PA in 1936, sold to Steam Trains, Inc. in February of 1965 - second image
2004 K&M 71 October 1909 May 1918 Built by the Kanawa & Michigan, scrapped in April of 1937
2005 P&LE 114 April 1899 January 1925 Rebuilt in May of 1907 and January of 1970, sold to Lincoln Heritage, Inc. in Gettysburg PA - second image
2006 PRR 476582 April 1910 March 1937 PRR Class ND, sold to Lynford Swearer and delivered to Strasburg Railroad in 1959 - second image
2007 RDG 92947 October 1942 November 1967 Reading class NMn, donated to the Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad Preservation Society at Muddy Creek Forks, PA in September of 2000

NOTES:

2000, 2001 and 2002 were renumbered from 1000, 1001 and 1002 on November 18, 1911.

2002 was built in the M&PA shop, a side door was added in 1961, saw only emergency use after November 1967.

2003 was acquired by the Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad Preservation Society in April 1992 from the Red Caboose Motel in Strasburg.

2006 cost $275.00 plus expenses for painting, locks, etc. At Strasburg RR car was numbered C-2, and later 11. Sold to C. F. Caldwell in 1972, restored to PRR livery, numbered 47682, and put on display at the Western Maryland depot at New Oxford, PA.

2007 purchased from George Hart for $1,000.00 and retained the number 21 until July 1968, delivered by truck to the Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad Preservation Society at Muddy Creek Forks on February 17, 2001.

 

WORK CARS - OLD NUMBERS

Number Old No. Type In Service Disposition & Notes
A B&L 11 Camp February 1901 Destroyed February 1904
A YS 12 Bunk June 1906 Scrapped December 1928
B B&L 107 Camp February 1901 Retired February 1904
C B&L 301 Camp February 1901 Scrapped in 1916
D YS 2 Camp February 1901 Converted to Baggage 42 August 1903
1 YS 13 Camp 1903-04 Scrapped October 1908
1 M&PA 502 Flat June 1913 Scrapped December 1928
2 YS 14 Camp June 1906 Retired March 1919, scrapped 1914
2 M&PA 2 Camp December 1923 Retired December 1928
3 YS 1 Camp   Retired March 1919, scrapped 1914
16 M&PA 16 Camp December 1937 Renumbered X7 April 1943
X1 M&PA 104 Pile driver 1906 Returned to flat car 104 January 1913
X2 M&PA 42 Tool October 1906 Scrapped October 1910
X3 M&PA 41 Tool March 1910 Scrapped January 1913
    Ditcher February 1918 Ex Gulf & Ship Island, retired December 1929
?? B&L 11 Tool   Car shown on 1911 roster, destroyed October 1906, otherwise unidentified

NOTES:

Ditcher (American #227) was built in April 1907. Purchased from Southern Iron & Equipment Co. for $4,000.00 in November 1917, and delivered in February 1918. A 3/4 yard clam bucket was purchased in 1918.

 

WORK CARS - NEW NUMBERS

Number Old No. Type In Service Disposition & Notes
X1 AC&Y X990 Wrecker March 1939 Retired 1979
X2 (1st) AC&Y X985 Idler March 1939 Rebuilt to flat 125 November 1941
X2 (2nd) M&PA 152 Idler October 1941 Renumbered X8 February 1945
X2 (3rd) M&PA 1155 Idler October 1970 Renumbered X9
X3 M&PA 703 Tool December 1940 Scrapped August 1955
X4 M&PA 712 Tool December 1940 Scrapped August 1955
X5 M&PA 726 Tool December 1940 Became tool car April 1935, scrapped October 1957
X6 M&PA 118 Rail loader March 1943 Retired December 1969
X7 M&PA 16 Camp April 1943 Retired June 1953, used as shed at Fallston January 1954
X8 M&PA X2 Idler February 1945 Rebuilt to flat 153 January 1955
X9 1st CB&Q 10111 Idler December 1953 Built September 1927, retired December 1970
X9 2nd M&PA X2 Idler October 1970 Sold to Early American Steam Engine Society in Windsor, PA in 1990
X10 CB&Q 11067 Tool January 1955 Built April 1925, sold to Willis Katorie, Bruce, PA April 1983
X11 NJI&I 78103 Tool February 1956 Built September 1927, sold to Joseph Corasaniti, Baltimore, MD April 1983
X12 M&PA 110 Rail loader October 1969 Sold to Early American Steam Engine Society in Windsor, PA in 1990
X15   Weed sprayer March 1947 Formerly X12, purchased new, retired
X127 MPA 127 Flat car early 1994 Formerly Northern Pacific flat car 14497
X130 WM 1580 Ballast November 1976 Built October 1937, rebuilt 1959, sold to Northern Central Railway, New Freedom, PA May 1996
X131 WM 1571 Ballast November 1976 Built May 1940, rebuilt 1961, sold to Northern Central Railway, New Freedom, PA May 1996

NOTES:

X1 - Built by Industrial Brownhoist, #624, in 1899, rebuilt in October 1928. Sold or donated at least once prior to 1990. However it was too heavy to be moved economically over poor roads and sat in York off of North Queen Street until scrapping began April 1997. Scrapping was not completed until January 1998.

X2 (3rd) - numbered X9 from October 1970 to December 1970.

X9 - not scrapped until after September 1971, to Muddy Creek Bridge to reinforce bank.

X11 - donated to the Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad Preservation Society, delivered to Muddy Creek Forks in Spring 2005.

Flat 126 rebuilt in September 1968 and numbered X12 until October 1969.

X12 - rebuilt October 1969 and existed for several months as a flat before receiving hoist equipment.

X15 - (X12) worked for many years without a visible number.

 

AIR DUMP CARS

Number Old No. Built In Service Disposition & Notes
301   1914 November 1917 Retired January 1952, possibly scrapped April 1950
302   1914 November 1917 Retired October 1970, sold to Strasburg RR January 5, 1971
MM 1 CTN RR   July 1937 Sold by Maryland Marble as junk

NOTES:

301 and 302 built by Kilbourne & Jacobs and purchased from General Equipment Co. to handle the disposal of waste material from the Maryland Marble Co. quarry at Cardiff. Capacity 16 cubic yards.

MM 1 purchased by Maryland Marble Co. to assist the two M&PA dump cars. Capacity 30 cubic yards. Built by Western Wheeled Scraper Co.

 

NOTES ON NON-REVENUE EQUIPMENT

In addition to the two series (old and new) of work service cars, the following cars were used in company service without the benefit of renumbering. They are listed by number with dates assigned to "Work" service. The last date is also, in most cases, the date the car was scrapped. The terms "Tool" and "Bunk" are self explanatory, but "Camp" appears to be a catch-all term and the configuration of the car is uncertain.

Number Type In Work Service Out of Service
Coach 16 Camp 12/1937 4/1943
Combine 2 Work 12/1923 12/1928
309 Camp 5/1911 after 2/1913
310 Camp 12/1907 5/1908
316 Camp 4/1911 2/1913
317 Camp ? 5/1913
331 Camp 8/1909 1/1913
332 Camp 8/1909 1/1913
408 Camp 12/1907 5/1911
411 Camp 12/1907 8/1908
501 Tool 5/1927 9/1936
503 Tool 5/1927 12/1930
507 Tool 10/1927 12/1940
510 Tool 4/1925 12/1940
511 Bunk 10/1914 11/1923
516 Bunk ? ?
535 Tool 11/1927 4/1935
563 Camp 8/1914 1/1928
580 Camp 8/1914 8/1927

The following cars were listed in the ICC Valuation report as having side windows and were likely used as Camp cars: 552, 555, 557, 560, and 563 (all with four 24" x 30" side windows). Also 509 was listed as having four side and two end windows (all 24" x 30" windows).

The November 1912 list of cars designated for scrapping during the 1913 purge of outmoded and worn out equipment noted that all the cars were at Baltimore except the following:

Being used by Mr. Ruby at Red Lion 309
Being used by contractors at Laurel 314, 317, 319, 323, 335
Being used by Conway Co. at Loch Raven 331, 332
Being used by Gilmore Co. at Summerfield 316
Being used for cattle pen at Brogueville 410
Being used for storage at York 330, 404, 609

The following cars are known to have existed as flat cars during a portion of their existence and due to their small size and capacity probably were not used in interchange service but served as "Work" cars: 308, 312, 314, 319, 323, 333, 334, 335, and 603. See FREIGHT CAR NOTES for dates of service.

 

Home | Railroad History | Railroad Stations | Society Information | Membership Application
Society Merchandise | Order Form | Historical Information | Timetable Supplements | Related Links | Contact Us

 

MA & PA MAILING LIST

Those of you with an interest in discussions of Ma & Pa history, equipment and modeling may want to join the Ma & Pa Railroad email list at Yahoo Groups.

Subscribe to MaPaRailroad

Powered by groups.yahoo.com


THE MARYLAND AND PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD
HISTORICAL SOCIETY
445 RICHARDSON ROAD
YORK, PA 17408-5034

© Copyright 2012, The Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society