Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society

Passenger Cars of the
Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad

Coaches
M&PA 1 Old No.: Built: c.1875 Acquired: May, 1901
NOTES:
Destroyed in April 1911
M&PA 2 Old No.: Built: c.1875 Acquired: May, 1901
NOTES:
Coach 2 was rebuilt by Jackson & Sharp (A.C.F.) in February of 1913 at a cost of $988.00
Rebuilt to Baggage-Coach in February 1919
M&PA 3 Old No.: Built: c.1875 Acquired: May, 1901
NOTES:
Rebuilt to Baggage-Coach in December 1913
M&PA 4 Old No.: B&L 4 Built: c.1880 Acquired: August, 1900
NOTES:
Sold to E.H. Wilson & Co. in December 1914
M&PA 5 Old No.: B&L 5 Built: c.1880 Acquired: August, 1900
NOTES:
Rebuilt to Mail-Coach in August 1904
M&PA 6 Old No.: B&L 6 Built: c.1880 Acquired: August, 1900
NOTES:
Sold to E.H. Wilson & Co. in February 1915
M&PA 7 Old No.: B&L 7 Built: c.1880 Acquired: June, 1900
NOTES:
Retired in May 1921, used as storeroom in Baltimore, scrapped in 1932
M&PA 8 Old No.: B&L 8 Built: c.1880 Acquired: June, 1900
NOTES:
Sold to Aransas Harbor Terminal Rwy., No. 3 in July 1919
M&PA 9 Old No.: B&L 9 Built: c.1880 Acquired: June, 1900
NOTES:
Scrapped in February 1914
M&PA 10 Old No.: B&L 10 Built: c.1880 Acquired: June, 1900
NOTES:
Sold to E.H. Wilson & Co. in December 1914
M&PA 11 Old No.: Y&S 11 Built: Acquired: February, 1901
NOTES:
Destroyed in January 1906
M&PA 11 Old No.: Built: April, 1910 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Scrapped in August 1955
PHOTO
M&PA 12 Old No.: YS 12 Built: Acquired: February, 1901
NOTES:
Converted to 2nd Camp A in June 1906
M&PA 12 Old No.: Built: July, 1909 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Sold to U.S. Army (Aberdeen Proving Grounds No.5) in May 1941
PHOTO
M&PA 13 Old No.: YS 13 Built: Acquired: February, 1901
NOTES:
Converted to Camp 1 in 1903-04
M&PA 13 Old No.: Built: August, 1906 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Retired in December 1935
M&PA 14 Old No.: YS 14 Built: Acquired: February, 1901
NOTES:
Converted to Camp 2 in June 1906
M&PA 14 Old No.: Built: August, 1906 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Sold to U.S. Army (Aberdeen Proving Grounds No. 6) in May 1941
PHOTO
M&PA 15 Old No.: Built: July, 1902 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Wrecked in February 23, 1914, retired in 1917
M&PA 16 Old No.: Built: July, 1902 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Converted to Camp 16 in December 1937
PHOTO
M&PA 17 Old No.: Built: July, 1902 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Scrapped in September 1936
M&PA 18 Old No.: Built: July, 1902 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Scrapped in February 1952
PHOTO
M&PA 19 Old No.: Built: July, 1911 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Scrapped in August 1955
PHOTO
M&PA 20 Old No.: Built: April, 1913 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Sold to NRHS in March 1956, to Strasburg RR in 1958
Coach 20 was painted Tuscan Red and cost $5,210.50. It was sold to the Baltimore Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society, and after a movie stint, went to the Strasburg RR, where it was equipped with a stove and named "Willow Brook". During 1988 and 1989 it was completely rebuilt and was outshopped on January 17, 1990, looking much like it did in 1913 with its new coat of Tuscan Red paint and Aluminum lettering.
PHOTO
M&PA 21 Old No.: PRR 3050 Built: June, 1903 Acquired: May, 1914
NOTES:
Scrapped in September 1936
M&PA 22 Old No.: PRR 3783 Built: August, 1903 Acquired: May, 1914
NOTES:
Rebuilt to Baggage-Coach in May 1926
PHOTO
M&PA 23 Old No.: PRR 1998 Built: July, 1903 Acquired: December, 1914
NOTES:
Rebuilt to Baggage-Coach in March 1923
M&PA 24 Old No.: PRR 3792 Built: January, 1903 Acquired: December, 1914
NOTES:
Scrapped in September 1936
PHOTO
M&PA 25 Old No.: PRR 3023 Built: June, 1903 Acquired: December, 1914
NOTES:
Rebuilt to Baggage-Coach in March 1923
PHOTO
Coach Notes:

Coaches 11 thru 20 were built by A.C.F., Jackson and Sharp Works, Wilmington, DE.

Coaches 11 through 20 had doors 27" X 6' 8".

Data from the order for Coaches 11 and 12 is as follows: length of body 50' 0", width of body 9' 8", length over platforms 56' 4", interior paint - green, seat covering - crimson plush, exterior paint - Tuscan Red, lettering - Aluminum, door locks to fit Pennsylvania RR key. Cost $4,779.00 each.

Coaches 11 and 12 had two seats removed in 1928 when Arcola heater was installed. Original capacity was 64.

Data from the order for Coaches 13 and 14 indicates that they were to be numbered 19 and 20. They had two salons and a partition. Otherwise they were like 11 and 12. Cost $4,875.00 each.

Coaches 13 and 14 had a partition 12' 10.5" from end.

Coach 17 had one salon, others in series had two salons.

Coach 20 had no end windows in salon.

Coaches 21 thru 25 were purchased second hand from E.H. Wilson & Co. in 1914. They were Pennsylvania RR cars, probably class Pk, and at least 25 had a "Jim Crow" section. Coaches 4, 6 and 10 were given in part payment and possibly went to Canada for work train service.

In March 1940 the M&PA wrote letters to various railroads indicating that they were interested in acquiring one to four lightweight coaches. None were available that could be used.

Return to Top

Mail-Coach 
M&PA 5 Old No.: B&L 5 Built: c.1880 Acquired: August, 1904
NOTES:
Converted from Coach 5, retired June 1920, converted to a storeroom in Baltimore, scrapped in 1932

Return to Top

Baggage-Coaches 
M&PA 2 Old No.: Built: c.1875 Acquired: February, 1919
NOTES:
Rebuilt from Coach
Converted to Work car in December 1923
M&PA 3 Old No.: Built: c.1875 Acquired: December, 1913
NOTES:
Rebuilt from Coach
Was removed from it's trucks and converted to a shed in York which was used as a bunkhouse and office. It was removed sometime between 1950 and 1954.
PHOTO
M&PA 20 Old No.: B&L 20 Built: Acquired: June, 1900
NOTES:
Scrapped in October 1916
M&PA 21 Old No.: B&L 21 Built: c.1890 Acquired: June, 1900
NOTES:
Renumbered to 51 in March 1913
M&PA 22 Old No.: Built: August, 1903 Acquired: May, 1926
NOTES:
Rebuilt from Coach
Scrapped in February 1939
M&PA 23 Old No.: Built: July 1903 Acquired: March, 1923
NOTES:
Rebuilt from Coach
Destroyed by fire in Baltimore in March 1926
M&PA 25 Old No.: Built: June, 1903 Acquired: March, 1923
NOTES:
Rebuilt from Coach
Scrapped in August 1938
M&PA 51 Old No.: Built: c.1890 Acquired: March, 1913
NOTES:
Renumbered from 21
Sold to Arkansas Harbor Terminal Rwy. No.4 in July 1919
Baggage-Coach Notes:

Combines 22, 23 and 25 had Jim Crow sections.

Return to Top

Baggage-Mail Cars 
M&PA 30 Old No.: B&L 30 Built: c.1895 Acquired: July, 1900
NOTES:
Had two end doors, four side doors, and six windows 24" x 36".
Destroyed by fire at Baltimore Freight House in January 1922.
M&PA 31 Old No.: B&L 31 Built: Acquired: July, 1900
NOTES:
Scrapped in June 1918.
M&PA 32 Old No.: B&L 32 Built: Acquired: July, 1900
NOTES:
Destroyed at Wilson's Trestle July 9, 1907.
M&PA 33 Old No.: Built: March, 1908 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Rebuilt in 1935.
Scrapped in August 1955.
PHOTO
M&PA 34 Old No.: Built: July, 1909 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Rebuilt in 1936.
Scrapped in August 1955.
PHOTO
M&PA 35 Old No.: CM 306 Built: July, 1887 Acquired: October, 1920
NOTES:
Was purchased from the Arkansas Valley Interurban Railway thru the E.H. Wilson Co. in 1920. It was built by the Pullman Co. in July 1887.
Rebuilt from Colorado Midland Baggage 306 in 1921.
Out of service in October 1942.
Converted to storeroom at Fallston in January 1946.
PHOTO
M&PA 35 Old No.: Built: October, 1906 Acquired: October, 1942
NOTES:
rebuilt from Baggage 42.
Sold to NRHS in March 1956, to B&O Railroad Museum in 1956.
Baggage-Mail Car Notes:

Baggage-Mail Cars 33 and 34 were built in the M&PA's Falls Road Shop. 33 was rebuilt in 1935, 34 in 1936.

Baggage-Mail 33 through 35 had two end doors, four side doors, two windows 31" X 31", four windows 22" X 31".

Return to Top

Baggage Cars 
M&PA 40 Old No.: B&L 40 Built: Acquired: 1901
NOTES:
Scrapped prior to October 1911.
Retired October 1916.
M&PA 41 Old No.: Built: Acquired:February, 1902
NOTES:
Had eight side windows, two side doors, two end doors.
Rebuilt to Old X3 in March 1910.
ex. Northern Central RR.
M&PA 42 Old No.: YS 2 Built: Acquired: August, 1903
NOTES:
Converted to Old X2 in October 1906.
ex. Camp D.
M&PA 42 Old No.: Built: October, 1906 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Rebuilt to (second) Baggage-Mail 35 in October 1942.
PHOTO
M&PA 43 Old No.: Built: April, 1906 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Destroyed in wreck at Woodbrook May 22, 1920.
M&PA 44 Old No.: Built: May, 1912 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Had four side doors, two end doors, eight side windows 22" x 33".
Rebuilt in November 1934.
Scrapped in August 1955.
PHOTO
M&PA 45 Old No.: CM 305 Built: July, 1887 Acquired: August, 1920
NOTES:
Was purchased from the Arkansas Valley Interurban Railway thru the E.H. Wilson Co. in 1920.
Was built by the Pullman Co. in July 1887.
Scrapped in April 1938
Baggage Car Notes:

Baggage Cars 40 and 41 were purchased from E.H. Wilson & Co. and were former Northern Central cars. 41 was PRR class BA and both were delivered unlettered. All correspondence pertaining to 40 was on Maryland and Pennsylvania RR stationary dated in January 1901.

Baggage Cars 42, 43 and 44 were built in the M&PA's Falls Road Shop. 44 was rebuilt in 1934. The steel underframe for 44 was purchased from American Car and Foundry.

Baggage Cars 42 and 43 had four side doors, two end doors, eight side windows 22" x 31".

Return to Top

Milk-Refrigerator Cars 
M&PA 401   Built: March, 1904 Acquired: May, 1920
NOTES:
ex. Armour Refrigerator Co. 49501.
Scrapped in August 1927, parts used to build 405.
M&PA 402   Built: December, 1900 Acquired: May, 1920
NOTES:
ex. Armour Refrigerator Co. 49416.
Scrapped in May 1928, parts used to build 406.
M&PA 405   Built: November, 1927 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Built using parts from 401.
Retired in October 1936.
M&PA 406   Built: July, 1928 Acquired: New
NOTES:
Built using parts from 402.
Retired in July 1938
M&PA 420   Built: Acquired: August, 1927
NOTES:
Returned to Mather Humane Stock Transportation Co. from whom car was leased (MRRX 800) in October 1929
Milk-Refrigerator Car Notes:

Milk-Refrigerator Cars 401 and 402 were to be lettered MARYLAND AND PENNSYLVANIA across the letterboard if there was room, otherwise they were to be lettered

MARYLAND
AND
PENNSYLVANIA

on the side, painted Pullman Green, lettered in Imitation Gold and equipped with Andrews trucks. 405 and 406, at least in later years, used Arch Bar trucks.

Milk-Refrigerator Cars 401 and 402 had Ice tanks, doors 4'-0" x 5'-11".

Milk-Refrigerator Cars 405 and 406 had no ice tanks, doors 4'-0" x 6'-3.5".

 

Notes on Passenger Cars

Data has been gathered from various sources, including Annual Reports, AFEs, the M&PA's Shop Book and photographs.

Information compiled by the late Charles T. Mahan, Jr.

 

Return to Top