Logo of The Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society

THE MARYLAND AND PENNSYLVANIA
RAILROAD HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Preserving history...in prototype and in miniature!

The Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society

HOME CONTACT US

 

About The Railroad

Railroad History

Railroad Stations

About Our Society

Society Information

Membership Application

Company Store

Society Merchandise

Order Form

Resources

Historical Information

Timetable Supplements

Related Links

Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad
Passenger Car Roster

COACHES

Number Old No. Built Acquired Disposition & Notes
1   c1875 5/1901 Destroyed in April 1911
2   c1875 5/1901 Rebuilt to Baggage-Coach in February 1919
3   c1875 5/1901 Rebuilt to Baggage-Coach in December 1913
4 B&L 4 c1880 8/1900 Sold to E.H. Wilson & Co. in December 1914
5 B&L 5 c1880 8/1900 Rebuilt to Mail-Coach in August 1904
6 B&L 6 c1880 8/1900 Sold to E.H. Wilson & Co. in February 1915
7 B&L 7 c1880 6/1900 Retired in May 1921, used as storeroom in Baltimore, scrapped in 1932
8 B&L 8 c1880 6/1900 Sold to Aransas Harbor Terminal Rwy., No. 3 in July 1919
9 B&L 9 c1880 6/1900 Scrapped in February 1914
10 B&L 10 c1880 6/1900 Sold to E.H. Wilson & Co. in December 1914
11 YS 11   2/1901 Destroyed in January 1906
11   4/1910 NEW Scrapped in August 1955
12 YS 12   2/1901 Converted to 2nd Camp A in June 1906
12   7/1909 NEW Sold to U.S. Army (Aberdeen Proving Grounds No.5) in May 1941
13 YS 13   2/1901 Converted to Camp 1 in 1903-04
13   8/1906 NEW Retired in December 1935
14 YS 14   2/1901 Converted to Camp 2 in June 1906
14   8/1906 NEW Sold to U.S. Army (Aberdeen Proving Grounds No. 6) in May 1941
15   7/1902 NEW Wrecked in February 23, 1914, retired in 1917
16   7/1902 NEW Converted to Camp 16 in December 1937
17   7/1902 NEW Scrapped in September 1936
18   7/1902 NEW Scrapped in February 1952
19   7/1911 NEW Scrapped in August 1955
20   4/1913 NEW Sold to NRHS in March 1956, to Strasburg RR in 1958
21 PRR 3050 6/1903 5/1914 Scrapped in September 1936
22 PRR 3783 8/1903 5/1914 Rebuilt to Baggage-Coach in May 1926
23 PRR 1998 7/1903 12/1914 Rebuilt to Baggage-Coach in March 1923
24 PRR 3792 1/1903 12/1914 Scrapped in September 1936
25 PRR 3023 6/1903 12/1914 Rebuilt to Baggage-Coach in March 1923

NOTES:

Coach 2 was rebuilt by Jackson & Sharp (A.C.F.) in February of 1913 at a cost of $988.00

Coaches 11 thru 20 were built by A.C.F., Jackson and Sharp Works, Wilmington, DE.

Data from the order for Coaches 11 and 12 is as follows: length of body 50' 0", width of body 9' 8", length over platforms 56' 4", interior paint - green, seat covering - crimson plush, exterior paint - Tuscan Red, lettering - Aluminum, door locks to fit Pennsylvania RR key. Cost $4,779.00 each.

Data from the order for Coaches 13 and 14 indicates that they were to be numbered 19 and 20. They had two salons and a partition. Otherwise they were like 11 and 12. Cost $4,875.00 each.

Coach 20 was painted Tuscan Red and cost $5,210.50. It, along with Baggage-Mail 2nd 35, was sold to the Baltimore Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society, and after a movie stint, went to the Strasburg RR, where it was equipped with a stove and named "Willow Brook". During 1988 and 1989 it was completely rebuilt and was outshopped on January 17, 1990, looking much like it did in 1913 with its new coat of Tuscan Red paint and Aluminum lettering.

Coaches 21 thru 25 were purchased second hand from E.H. Wilson & Co. in 1914. They were Pennsylvania RR cars, probably class Pk, and at least 25 had a "Jim Crow" section. Coaches 4, 6 and 10 were given in part payment and possibly went to Canada for work train service.

In March 1940 the M&PA wrote letters to various railroads indicating that they were interested in acquiring one to four lightweight coaches. None were available that could be used.

Coaches 11 and 12 had two seats removed in 1928 when Arcola heater was installed. Original capacity was 64.

Coaches 13 and 14 had a partition 12' 10.5" from end.

Coach 17 had one salon, others in series had two salons.

Coaches 11 through 20 had doors 27" X 6' 8".

Coach 20 had no end windows in salon.

 

MAIL-COACH

Number Old No. Built Acquired Disposition & Notes
5 B&L 5 c1880 August 1904 Converted from Coach 5, retired June 1920, converted to a storeroom in Baltimore, scrapped in 1932

 

BAGGAGE-COACHES

Number Old No. Built Acquired Disposition & Notes
2   c1875 2/1919 Converted to Work car in December 1923, rebuilt from Coach
3   c1875 12/1913 Converted to shed at York in April 1923, rebuilt from Coach
20 B&L 20   6/1900 Scrapped in October 1916
21 B&L 21 c1890 6/1900 Renumbered to 51 in March 1913
22   8/1903 5/1926 Scrapped in February 1939, rebuilt from Coach
23   7/1903 3/1923 Destroyed by fire in Baltimore in March 1926, rebuilt from Coach
25   6/1903 3/1923 Scrapped in August 1938, rebuilt from Coach
51   c1890 3/1913 Sold to Arkansas Harbor Terminal Rwy. No.4 in July 1919, renumbered from 21

NOTES:

Combine 3 was removed from it's trucks and converted to a shed in York which was used as a bunkhouse and office. It was removed sometime between 1950 and 1954.

Combines 22, 23 and 25 had Jim Crow sections.

 

BAGGAGE-MAIL CARS

Number Old No. Built Acquired Disposition & Notes
30 B&L 30 c1895 7/1900 Destroyed by fire at Baltimore Freight House in January 1922
31 B&L 31   7/1900 Scrapped in June 1918
32 B&L 32   7/1900 Destroyed at Wilson's Trestle July 9, 1907
33   3/1908 NEW Rebuilt in 1935, scrapped in August 1955
34   7/1909 NEW Rebuilt in 1936, scrapped in August 1955
35 CM 306 7/1887 10/1920 Out of service in October 1942, converted to storeroom at Fallston in January 1946, rebuilt from Colorado Midland Baggage 306 in 1921
35   10/1906 10/1942 Sold to NRHS in March 1956, to B&O RR Museum in 1956, rebuilt from Baggage 42

NOTES:

Baggage-Mail Cars 33 and 34 were built in the M&PA's Falls Road Shop. 33 was rebuilt in 1935, 34 in 1936.

1st 35 (ex. Colorado Midland) was purchased from the Arkansas Valley Interurban Railway thru the E.H. Wilson Co. in 1920. It was built by the Pullman Co. in July 1887.

Baggage-Mail 30 had two end doors, four side doors, and six windows 24 "X 36".

Baggage-Mail 33 through 35 had two end doors, four side doors, two windows 31" X 31", four windows 22" X 31".

 

BAGGAGE CARS

Number Old No. Built In Service Disposition & Notes
40 B&L 40   1901 Scrapped prior to October 1911, retired October 1916
41     2/1902 Rebuilt to Old X3 in March 1910, ex. Northern Central RR
42 YS 2   8/1903 Converted to Old X2 in October 1906, ex. Camp D
42   10/1906 NEW Rebuilt to Baggage-Mail 35 (2nd) in October 1942
43   4/1906 NEW Destroyed in wreck at Woodbrook May 22, 1920
44   5/1912 NEW Rebuilt in November 1934, scrapped in August 1955
45 CM 305 7/1887 8/1920 Scrapped in April 1938

NOTES:

Baggage Cars 40 and 41 were purchased from E.H. Wilson & Co. and were former Northern Central cars. 41 was PRR class BA and both were delivered unlettered. All correspondence pertaining to 40 was on Maryland and Pennsylvania RR stationary dated in January 1901

Baggage Cars 42, 43 and 44 were built in the M&PA's Falls Road Shop. 44 was rebuilt in 1934. The steel underframe for 44 was purchased from American Car and Foundry.

45 (ex. Colorado Midland) was purchased from the Arkansas Valley Interurban Railway thru the E.H. Wilson Co. in 1920. It was built by the Pullman Co. in July 1887.

Baggage 41 had eight side windows, two side doors, two end doors.

Baggage 42, 43 had four side doors, two end doors, eight side windows 22" X 31".

Baggage 44 had four side doors, two end doors, eight side windows 22" X 33".

 

MILK-REFRIGERATOR CARS

Number Built Acquired Disposition & Notes
401 3/1904 5/1920 Scrapped in August 1927, parts used to build 405, ex. Armour Refrigerator Co. 49501
402 12/1900 5/1920 Scrapped in May 1928, parts used to build 406, ex. Armour Refrigerator Co. 49416
405 11/1927 NEW Retired in October 1936, built using parts from 401
406 7/1928 NEW Retired in July 1938, built using parts from 402
420   8/1927 Returned to Mather Humane Stock Transportation Co. from whom car was leased (MRRX 800) in October 1929

NOTES:

Milk-Refrigerator Cars 401 and 402 were to be lettered MARYLAND AND PENNSYLVANIA across the letterboard if there was room, otherwise they were to be lettered


MARYLAND
AND
PENNSYLVANIA

on the side, painted Pullman Green, lettered in Imitation Gold and equipped with Andrews trucks. 405 and 406, at least in later years, used Arch Bar trucks.

Milk 401 and 402 had Ice tanks, doors 4'-0" X 5'-11".

Milk 405 and 406 had no ice tanks, doors 4'-0" X 6'-3.5".

 

 

Home | Railroad History | Railroad Stations | Society Information | Membership Application
Society Merchandise | Order Form | Historical Information | Timetable Supplements | Related Links | Contact Us

 

MA & PA MAILING LIST

Those of you with an interest in discussions of Ma & Pa history, equipment and modeling may want to join the Ma & Pa Railroad email list at Yahoo Groups.

Subscribe to MaPaRailroad

Powered by groups.yahoo.com


THE MARYLAND AND PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD
HISTORICAL SOCIETY
445 RICHARDSON ROAD
YORK, PA 17408-5034

© Copyright 2012, The Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society