THE MARYLAND AND PENNSYLVANIA
HOME CONTACT US
About The Railroad
About Our Society
Maryland & Pennsylvania Railroad
||0.0||2 (4)-story stone||43' x 30.5'||2/22/1887||---||Razed in 1937 for Howard Street bridge project|
||0.0||1-story frame||48' x 18'||1937||6/16/1958||Razed|
|Notre Dame||3.2||Shelter shed?||1909||NA|
|Homeland||4.3||2-story frame P&F||21.5' x 27'||c.1887||Still standing, private residence|
|Woodbrook||5.1||STA||1908||Destroyed by fire, 11/7/1912|
|Woodbrook||5.1||1-story frame P&F||25' x 18'||1914||Sold 12/1951|
|Sheppard||6.2||Shelter shed||29' x 12.5'||1902||NA||Partially retired in 19501, razed in 1958|
|Towson||7.0||1-story frame P&F||46' x 12.3'||6/1882||---||Destroyed by fire in 1920|
|Towson||7.0||1-story frame P&F||65' x 20'||3/7/1921||6/16/1958||Sold 6/16/1958|
|Towson Heights||7.7||1-story frame||12' x 8'||1893||NA|
|Towson Estates||8.0||Shelter shed||12' x 11'||1930||NA||Torn down after 1959|
|Oakleigh (Cowpens)||9.6||STA||NA||Destroyed by derailed coach 1/1917|
|Oakleigh||9.6||Shelter shed||29' x 12.5'||1917||NA||Partially retired in 19501|
|Loch Raven||11.2||1-story frame||33' x 10'||1888||9/1/1931||Destroyed by fire 5/22/1949, shelter shed erected after fire|
|Maryland School||11.9||Shelter shed||29' x 12.5'||10/1913||NA||Razed 1952|
|Summerfield||12.6||Shelter shed||12' x 8'||1924||NA|
|Notch Cliff||13.4||Shelter shed||29' x 12'||1898||NA||Destroyed by derailed coach, 12/1914|
|Notch Cliff||13.4||Shelter shed||1915||NA||Razed 8/12/1957|
|Glen View||13.7||Concrete shelter shed||18.5' x 7.6'||1906||NA||Private, still standing|
|Glenarm||14.5||STA||---||---||Moved from Baldwin in 1906, sold|
|Glenarm||14.5||1-story frame P&F||42.5' x 16'||1909||12/31/1956||Sold, still standing, restaurant|
|Long Green||15.8||1-story frame P&F||25' x 12'||3/1883||---||Storage building in 1903, moved in 1985|
|Long Green||15.8||2-story frame||44' x 20'||1903||Razed 12/1985|
|Hyde||16.8||2 1/2-story frame||40' x 26.5'||4/1883||1956|
|Baldwin||18.4||Coach||12/1882?||---||Destroyed by fire 4/20/1895|
|Baldwin||18.4||STA||6/1895||---||Moved to Glenarm in 1906|
|Baldwin||18.4||1-story frame P&F||38' x 16.5'||1906||Destroyed by fire 9/29/1966|
|Laurel Brook||21.2||1-story frame||12' x 8'||1893||NA||Destroyed by fire 8/16/1922|
|Laurel Brook||21.2||Shelter shed||1922||NA||Retired 5/23/1951|
|Fallston||22.3||2-story frame P&F||40' x 20'||1904||1956||Sold, still standing|
|Vale (Watervale)||24.2||Store||49' x 22.7'||1885||Agent 1930||Still standing, private residence|
|Bel Air||26.5||2-story frame P&F||42' x 21'||12/1883||6/16/1958||Sold, razed 6/1961|
|Bynum||28.5||Store||52' x 30'||after 1885|
|Forest Hill||30.4||Store||60' x 60'||---||Tucker's Store, destroyed by fire 6/10/1914, rebuilt|
|Forest Hill||30.3||1-story frame P&F||50' x 20'||1914||5/4/1954||Sold, still standing, hobby shop|
|Fern Cliff||33.7||Shelter shed||29' x 12'||1911||NA||Partially retired 19501|
|Rocks||35.3||1-story frame P&F||53.5' x 9'||1888||3/28/1945|
|Minefield||37.3||Shelter shed||29' x 12'||1911||NA||Partially retired 19501|
|Street (Highland)||38.6||Store||83' x 25'|
|Pylesville||40.3||1-story frame P&F||16' x 13'||4/1888|
|Whiteford (Cambria)||42.4||1-story frame P&F||40' x 12.5'||1892||1/31/1953||Still standing|
||43.3||Store||1885||Station moved to store 10/1901, store razed 7/1978|
|Delta||??||Old coach||1884||---||Moved to store 7/1/1886|
|Delta||44.4||2-story store||40' x 22'||1876||---||Still standing, private residence|
|Delta||44.5||1-story frame P&F||2/1886||---|
|Delta||43.8||1-stort frame P&F||60' x 22.5'||1902||9/1/602||Destroyed by fire 3/4/1967|
|Bryansville||45.9||2 1/2-story frame||28' x 26'|
|Castle Fin||46.9||2 1/2-story store||55' x 20'|
|Woodbine||50.6||1 1/2-story store/post office||30' x 25'||9/8/1953||Still standing, private residence|
|Bridgeton||51.6||1-story frame P&F||36' x 16.5'||1893||1955-563||Razed 9/1969|
|Muddy Creek Forks||56.5||2 1/2-story store||25' x 31'||c.1847||---||Razed|
|Muddy Creek Forks||56.5||2 1/2-story store||60' x 40'||1900||19564||Still standing, M&P RR Preservation Society|
|High Rock||57.1||Store||38' x 50'||6/22/1949||Razed|
|Laurel||59.4||2 1/2-story store||4/10/1939||Still standing|
|Brogueville||61.3||2-story store||24' x 60'||4/10/1939||Still standing, private residence|
|Felton||63.6||1-story frame P&F||63' x 16.5'||1906||4/30/1953||Razed 1979-80|
|Springvale||66.8||2-story store/residence||43' x 20'||Still standing, private dwelling|
|Red Lion||68.3||Store/station||97' x 25'||1875||---||Destroyed by fire in 18955|
|Red Lion||68.3||Store/station||97' x 25'||1895||---||Razed 1925 for new station|
|Red Lion||68.3||1-story brick P&F||145' x 24'||1925||9/1/19602||Still standing, Red Lion Area Historical Society|
|Dallastown||70.5||1-story frame P&F||60' x 24'||1893||10/6/1957||Destroyed by fire 6/25/1959|
|Yoe||70.3||1-story frame P&F||60' x 16.5'||1898||6/30/1939||Razed in 1978|
|Relay||70.8||2 1/2-story store/post office||Still standing, private residence|
|Ore Valley||72.1||2 1/2-story frame||Demolished in July of 2012|
|Ben Roy||72.8||2-story post office/residence||Still standing, private residence|
|York||77.2||Brick station||25' x 20'||9/1896||1907?||Razed for new station?|
|York||77.2||2-story frame P&F||55' x 18'||1907||Still standing, York Housing Authority|
1 Stations shown as partially retired in 1950 were cut down to 14.5' long. The open portion was removed.
2 Delta and Red Lion agencies were combined 9/1/1960 and closed 11/1/1980.
3 Agency also closed 3/1/1932 and 4/1/1957. Seniority rosters indicate an agent 7/29/1955 but no agent 3/21/1956
4 Muddy Creek Forks probably combined with Red Lion/Delta in 1956
5 The original Red Lion station, destroyed by fire in 1895, was immediately replaced by an almost identical building.
Mileage as shown is taken (or calculated) from survey stations and timetables dated after May 21, 1916.
Some stations, especially in Pennsylvania, were located in general stores where passengers could wait for trains and purchase tickets from the railroad's agent or from the store owner who was sometime employed as a commission agent.
Stations with no dates in the Agency Closed column either never had an agent or were closed prior to 1943.
This information was obtained mainly from newspapers, ICC Valuation Reports, bulletins, and M&PA Railroad drawings with inout from Gary Frederick and Rudy Fischer.
Greta H. reported the following on April 3, 2010:
Just a note on the current status of a couple of the Maryland stations:
Hyde is still standing, with the lower floor having a doggie wash business and a children’s consignment shop, which just opened last week.
Watervale has been vacant for several years now and is being demolished by neglect.
The lady who owns the property that the Sharon station stood on told me recently that the station burned down with one person dying in the fire.
Those of you with an interest in discussions of Ma & Pa history, equipment and modeling may want to join the Ma & Pa Railroad email list at Yahoo Groups.
445 RICHARDSON ROAD
YORK, PA 17408-5034