Logo of The Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society

THE MARYLAND AND PENNSYLVANIA
RAILROAD HISTORICAL SOCIETY

Preserving history...in prototype and in miniature!

The Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society

HOME CONTACT US

 

About The Railroad

Railroad History

Railroad Stations

About Our Society

Society Information

Membership Application

Company Store

Society Merchandise

Order Form

Resources

Historical Information

Timetable Supplements

Related Links

Loch Raven


Photo source: Collection of C. Stewart Rhine (taken during Winter 1939-40.).


The name Loch Raven was coined about 1875 by Willaim Gilmor for the first water-supply dam for Baltimore City that was built near Raven Rocks. The rocks were named for a 1724 local land owner, Luke Raven. Loch, of course, is Scottish for "lake". This shot was taken facing north, showing the south and east sides of the Loch Raven station. The 3' wide narrow gauge rails of the Baltimore & Delta Railway reached this area on July 29, 1882, and a station stop called Loch Raven was soon established here. On August 28, 1882, the Baltimore & Delta Railway lost its identity and was merged into the Maryland Central Railroad.


Fischer, Rudy, Scenes From Ma & Pa Country - Then and Now: Jenifer's Trestle & Loch Raven Station Areas - Baltimore County, Maryland; TIMETABLE, Vol 18, Number 4, Fall 2002; The Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society, Inc.
© Copyright The Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society, 2003.

 

Home | Railroad History | Railroad Stations | Society Information | Membership Application
Society Merchandise | Order Form | Historical Information | Timetable Supplements | Related Links | Contact Us

 

MA & PA MAILING LIST

Those of you with an interest in discussions of Ma & Pa history, equipment and modeling may want to join the Ma & Pa Railroad email list at Yahoo Groups.

Subscribe to MaPaRailroad

Powered by groups.yahoo.com


THE MARYLAND AND PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD
HISTORICAL SOCIETY
445 RICHARDSON ROAD
YORK, PA 17408-5034

© Copyright 2012, The Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society