Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society


This shot was taken facing north. At the northeast corner of the Sharon Road grade crossing is the M&P owned freight warehouse. This structure was built druing the narrow gauge era in 1888 by the Maryland Central Railroad. The "Sharon" station sign is on the structure's west or track side. Based on later photographs, this building was razed about 1950. Photo source: C. Stewart Rhine Collection - Insurance Survey Photo- Winter 1939 - 1940.


This photo was taken from the fireman's seat of a northbound gas-electric motor car as it approached the grade crossing at Sharon Road. A good view of the country store/station is provided, showing it's entire south side. Photographic proof exists that the former store/station at Sharon was still standing as a private residence in the late-1970's. It is currently not known when this structure was razed. Photo source: the Donald G. Hughes Family Collection.


The Sharon station was located at mile post 32.3, which meant it was located thirty-two and three-tenths of a mile north of Baltimore. The south end of the Sharon trestle was about 250 feet north of the station. The Gross' trestle #316 was located less than a half mile south of where the railroad crossed Sharon Road. After northbound trains made a rather sharp turn to the right (or east) on that trestle, for the next roughly two miles the main line headed almost due compass north.

Until September 19, 1951 (when afternoon passenger Trains 7 & 12 stopped running from Baltimore & York), following the M&P's Timetable, a person could board either morning Train 3 or Train 7 at Baltimore for a roughly 1 hour and 45 minute ride north to the Sharon station.

Sometime in the 1940's, the M&P changed Sharon from a manned station to a flag stop.


Fischer, Rudy, Then and Now: Sharon Station & Sharon Trestle Area - Harford County, Maryland; TIMETABLE, Vol 21, Number 3, Summer 2005; The Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society, Inc.
© Copyright The Maryland and Pennsylvania Railroad Historical Society, 2006.